Tuesday 16 August 2016

We have to move

Apparently Australia is not where we think it is.

Yes I know, we are still in the Southern Hemisphere with the Indian Ocean to our west and the Arafura and Timor Seas to our north and the Pacific Ocean to our east and the Southern Ocean to...well the name says it all.


Yes, we are sort of where we always have thought we are, only that we are 1.5 metres away from there; wherever 'there' is.

Funnily enough, I have sort of known this ever since the introduction of Apps and smart phones. Looking up Google Maps or Apple Maps I'd find myself indicated as being slightly adjacent to where I believed I was or, somewhat unnervingly, across the road from I believed myself to be.

Spooky, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I was all set to blame Mathew Flinders but after reading the linked piece, we have actually moved. I'm pleased I don't suffer from motion sickness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a child I was intrigued why we didn't get dizzy from the Earth's rotation.

      Delete