Sunday 20 November 2016

Nijinsky

Australian Ballet

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have been to the ballet (and yes that does mean not counting my thumb).

Attending the Australian Ballet's production 'Nijinsky' is only my fourth ballet, ever. I am not an aficionado of the art form although I can respect the extraordinary skill and athleticism of the performers.

I was attracted to attend Nijinsky by newspaper reports and images (and in truth the expectation of viewing superb examples of the male athlete).

This ballet relates the last public performance of the famed early 20th century Russian ballet dancer. Diagnosed with schizophrenia the dancer hallucinates images from his past; previous performances, early life influences and events.

The production is very dramatic and notwithstanding my general ignorance of the form a memorable event.

✶✶✶✶

No comments:

Post a Comment